cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Peter C. Verhage" <pete...@zeelandnet.nl>
Subject xsp:implements
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2001 16:20:40 GMT
Could somehow a tag like this be added to XSP? Why you probably ask. Well
it's quite simple. As you might know, when programming in JAVA you can
define flags something like this: public final int FLAGNAME = 1;. You can do
this within an interface or a class. There's only one minor problem, if you
want to reference to such a flag from an other (external) class you always
have to use <interface-/class-name>.<flag-name>, e.g. Interface.FLAG. So you
can't just import the interface, class and say int test = FLAGNAME for
example. But there is a way to make this possible, and that is by letting
your class implement a certain interface with those flags!

So in that case it would be nice if I could let the generated class for my
page implement (a) certain interface(s) which contains the flag I want to
use. Why would you ask? Why not just use <interface-name>.<flag-name>? First
of all, I think it's messy and a lot of unnecessary code. Second, and more
import, is the fact I'm using an external configuration file, in which a
certain programmer/user of my taglib can define certain stuff. And I want to
give them the abillity to activate certain flags. So in the config file you
will find something like <tag attrib="FLAGNAME1|FLAGNAME2"/>, if select the
value of this field with xsl:value-of and put it right into an external
function in an external class it would not work, because it doesn't know the
flag names. That would mean the user has to do something like <tag
attrib="Interface.FLAGNAME1|Interface.FLAGNAME2"/>... I think that's ugly,
and probably not understandable for the average user which is going to use
my taglib. I also tried something like this: <tag condition1="true"
condition2="true"/> or something similar like that, and put in my taglib all
of the attribute nodes into a hashtable and give that hashtable to my class
it's method. In the method I filter out those conditions, and so it works.
But this has a great disadvantage because it is slow, and complex (for no
reason whatsoever).

I hope something like this could be implemented in a future release of
Cocoon... Or maybe someone can point me into another direction which will
also solve my "problems" in a much nicer way?!

Regards,

Peter