cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Uli Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: Yet another 1.8.2 problem
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2001 21:58:24 GMT
On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Robin Green wrote:

> >response.setContentType("application/pdf");
> >PrintWriter _soap_out = new PrintWriter(response.getWriter());
> >_soap_out.print(_soap_value);
>
> If Stefano were here, he'd say "You can't do this, it violates the Cocoon
> separation of concerns!" But I'm willing to be more flexible.

Stefano is right, I am not doing this for fun, but because cocoon gives me
no other way of doing it :-)

> Question 1. What should happen when Cocoon tries to output something in
> addition to what you've outputted? Should it not output anything? If
> something, what?

How about this: Cocoon should test if the output stream has already been
closed and if yes, should not output anything. Isn't it quite obvious that
in this case someone else has closed the output stream already?

> Question 2. Is it a bad idea to allow this now, given that it probably won't
> be possible to grab the writer/outputstream in C2?

I think in C2 it won't be needed anymore, but I may be wrong. If there is
another way to solve my problem, I'll gladly change my SOAP taglib. I
don't like the code, either, but know no other way.

Generally speaking, the task at hand is to output X from within XSP. X in
my case is PDF, but it could be something different, like MS-Word files.

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Softwareentwicklung