cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Henning von Bargen <H.vonBar...@triestram-partner.de>
Subject AW: Cocoon Vision (was: How to edit,delete data on xml file or da tabases?)
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2001 08:09:28 GMT
> -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
> Von:	Donald Ball [SMTP:balld@webslingerZ.com]
> Gesendet am:	Dienstag, 27. Februar 2001 02:09
> An:	cocoon-users@xml.apache.org
> Betreff:	Re: Cocoon Vision (was: How to edit,delete data on xml file
or databases?)

> On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Uli Mayring wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Donald Ball wrote:
> >
> > > i know i'm preaching to the choir, but what the hell. how long do you
> > > reckon it's going to be before xml/xslt capable clients have dominant
> > > market share (95%+)? suggest not holding your breath while waiting.
> >
> > Actually it was said that the current version of IE and the next version
> > of Netscape would support it. That would mean a useful market share
> > sometime this year.
Next version of Netscape? Netscape is almost dead (at least the browser).
Netscape 6 was a flop, Netscape 4 doesn't support cascading stylesheets
(in a way a web developer could use it)
and IE5 has 80% market share in Germany, I believe.
IMHO, at this point, there are only 2 solutions for the non-Microsoft user:
Opera and KDE2 Konqueror (maybe GNOME has a comparable browser)
- and not Netscape.

> as if everyone's going to upgrade en masse! c'mon, that's just wishful
> thinking.
>
> > Still, it won't take off. Two polemics why not:
> >
> > - Yahoo doesn't want me to filter out the ad banners with my own local
> > stylesheet
> > - Java didn't work on the client either
>
> damned good points.
I agree. And will users (and administrators) trust in client-side XSLT
processing?
There may be security flaws and someone could exploit them.
As long as there isn't a proof that XSLT processing is stable and secure,
many companies will disable it (or forbid users to use such browsers).

Henning