cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ulrich Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: Cocoon Vision (was: How to edit,delete data on xml file or databases?)
Date Mon, 26 Feb 2001 13:34:30 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:

> Then perhaps you mean integration *framework*, rather? in which case I'm sure
> you're right.

However you want to call it, EAI basically means putting a wrapper
around your legacy applications. As of today that means an unspecified
XML wrapper, tomorrow it may be UDDI. The only technology I'm aware of
that allows you to do that is Cocoon. Perl is not end-to-end XML and
therefore does not belong in this category.

We could argue whether end-to-end XML was necessary or even good and in
that discussion we could bring Perl back into the picture.

> > - does not support client-side processing of XSL stylesheets
>
> Is the C2 model flexible enough to defer formatting to the client side?

Personally I think client-side stylesheet processing is a red herring
and will be extremely unpopular with business web sites. Just like with
Java, XML will rule the server, but not necessarily the client.

> > I believe the right way to do my things is end-to-end XML and everything
> > I use has to subscribe to that paradigm and therefore to Cocoon.
>
> ..or to .NET ;) XML is pleasantly framework-agnostic.

.NET is not end-to-end XML either :)  Plus, I don't think anyone would
want to rely on Microsoft upholding the standards :)

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Systementwicklung