cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Cindy Ballreich <ci...@ballreich.net>
Subject Re: ClassCastException
Date Mon, 26 Feb 2001 20:15:55 GMT
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the response. It's greatly appreciated.

>From looking at the FP source (fpResource.java), it looks like your "select"
>statement isn't matching anything. FP then tries to typecast "null" into an
>Element, thus throwing a CCException. Are you sure "@name" contains
something?

Yes, the "@name" attribute does contain a value. It's being read by
"fp:read" and it displays in the input display on the html form. Using the
fragment below as an example, I have no trouble writing the value of
"quantity" but I can't update the value of "@name". I have no trouble
reading the value of either...

<item name="foo">
  <quantity>10</quantity>
</item>

It's very puzzling.

>You're also using a slightly old version of FP (the latest says it has
better error
>reporting).

At your suggestion I upgraded Cocoon to 1.8.2. (I also upgraded apache to
1.3.17) The error message is identical to the previous version except that
the FOP version number is now being displayed...
FOP_VERSION = FOP 0.15
FOP_VERSION_NO = 0.15

Are there any working examples of using FP to update an attribute value?

Thanks again!

Cindy

>--Jeff
>
>On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 01:46:44PM -0800, Cindy Ballreich wrote:
>> Can you stand another FP related question from me?
>>
>> As in my previous postings, I'm working with the form capabilities
>> demonstrated in the "Simple Form Handling" example. Currently, I'm trying
>> to update the value of an attribute and I'm getting a ClassCastException
>> when I try to do this. When I try to edit the CDATA value of a node I don't
>> have any problems at all. It's the attributes that are giving me problems.
>> (I'm using cocoon 1.8, jakarta 3.1.1, and apache 1.3.14 on an NT4.0
system.)

>> This is what I'm trying to edit...
>>
>> <item name="foo" cat_num="1234">
>>    ...other elements...
>> </item>
>>
>> Here is a typical bit of XML to do the editing...
>>
>> <input name="name" size="30" label="Name">
>>   <fp:if-post>
>>     <fp:write to="external-item" select="@name">
>>       <request:get-parameter name="name"/>
>>     </fp:write>
>>   </fp:if-post>
>>   <fp:read select="@name" from="external-item"/>
>> </input>
>>
>> And here is the error message...
>>
>> java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.xerces.dom.DeferredAttrNSImpl
>>         at

org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.library.fp.fpResource.writeAsTextNode(fpReso
>> urce.java:271)
>>         at

org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.library.fp.fpLibrary.handleWrite(fpLibrary.j
>> ava:139)
>>         at

_C_._Program_Files._Apache_Group._jakarta_tomcat._webapps._cocoon._servlets.
>> _catalog._catalog_edit.populateDocument(_catalog_edit.java:223)
>>         at
>> org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPPage.getDocument(XSPPage.java:96)
>>         at
>> org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPProcessor.process(XSPProcessor.java:494)
>>         at org.apache.cocoon.Engine.handle(Engine.java:359)
>>         at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.service(Cocoon.java:167)
>>         at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:865)
>>         at

>>         at
>> org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:559)
>>         at

>> (Ajp12ConnectionHandler.java:156)
>>         at

org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(SimpleTcpEndpoint.java:338)