cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <p...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject Re: Cocoon Vision (was: How to edit,delete data on xml file or databases?)
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:27:44 GMT
* Donald Ball (balld@webslingerZ.com) wrote :
> > Still, it won't take off. Two polemics why not:
> >
> > - Yahoo doesn't want me to filter out the ad banners with my own local
> > stylesheet
> > - Java didn't work on the client either
> damned good points.

Quite. Also, I'm not sure that there's necessarily any benefit until
browsers actually 'understand' the data. Browsers are purely a
presentation engine, at the end of the day, controvertial though that
idea is.

One day, we won't have HTML, we'll have properly marked up content that
allows the browser to actually understand the structure of the document,
and present it to the user by getting this information to the user
through any sensible medium. 'Course, we'll have semantic search and a
fully distributed, trust metric, secure, payment enabled, fully buzword
compliant 'web' by then too :)

P.