cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <p...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject Re: generate sql from request in xsp?
Date Mon, 26 Feb 2001 11:34:23 GMT
* Riad Shaalan (riad@carpets.com) wrote :
> Im pretty new to Cocoon, but I think it is obvious to me from running the
> samples and reading the docs that newly created xsp pages need to be
> compiled into java bytecodes. That means it is infeasible to create a new
> xsp page for every user request. So, if you wanted to implement your sql
> generation scheme using logicsheets, I think it would be prohibitively slow
> because of the required compilation step. I think the best way would be to
> write an xsp page (or a custom processor) that would read the request and
> generate the sql within the xsp (i.e. not relying on a logicsheet).

XSP pages only need recompilation if the _code_ changes, not the data
within the code. If you can write the page in such a way that you're not
actually changing the XSP page itself, you won't need to recompile.

> I wish Cocoon could have supported an iterpreted language such as
> JavaScript. I guess it was too much of a performance hit to run an
> interpreter that was itself interpreted by the JVM.

As far as I am aware, XSP itself is language independant, so there's
nothing to stop you using rhino or whatever to integrate ECMA/JavaScript
into the XSP engine.

P.