cocoon-users mailing list archives

From SÚrgio Carvalho <scarva...@criticalsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon Vision (was: How to edit,delete data on xml file or databa ses?)
Date Mon, 26 Feb 2001 11:23:19 GMT
On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:11:43 +1100
Jeff Turner <jeff@socialchange.net.au> wrote:

<snip/>

> IMO, Cocoon is about separation of Content from Logic from Presentation. What
> you're describing is a *content* management framework, which Cocoon ain't. But
> it's an impressive vision nonetheless:) Thanks for airing it.

I disagree. Cocoon is definitely entering the content management scenario, even if it was
not its original target.

If all Cocoon did was separation of Content from Logic from Presentation, I would not use
it, but rather a combination of Enterprise Javabeans, XML-generating Java server pages and
an XSLT engine (probably built as a module on the web server).
Other solutions exist, most showing this separation into "business logic", "application logic"
and "presentation". All show the same problem: They are not fully adapted to the domain of
web applications. One can easily imagine writing the same patterns over and over without any
possible means of reduction.