cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Steven Punte <stevep...@excite.com>
Subject Request Performance Suggestions and profile.xml data
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:52:27 GMT
 Dear Cocoon User Group:

 	I seeking performance improvement suggestions.  The Cocoon
 	incorporate profiler output of my conventional and typical
 	xml -> xsp -> xslt page is:

 Whole Request							951
org-apache-cocoon-producer-ProducerFromFile			20
org.apache.cocoon.processor.xslt.XSLTProcessor-0		140
org-apache-cocoon-formatter-HTMLFormatter			60
Outputting							20
org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPProcessor-0			-
org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPProcessor-1			251
org.apache.cocoon.processor.xslt.XSLTProcessor-2		450

  	I'm presently using Cocoon-1.8.0, Orion-1.3.8 and
  	Sun JDK 1.3.0 on NT and Linux: performance is about
  	the same on both but the above numbers are from NT.
  	Hot-spot JVM optimizer is engaged.

 	Questions I have that I'm hoping someone will spare the
  	time to answer are:

 	1)	Are all these number in milli-seconds?  I could
                not find any description document anywhere.

  	2)	90% percent of my XSLT transforms are
                simple "template", "value-of", and "attribute".
                Therefore from my readings.  I'm not thinking I
                can achieve significant improvement by adjustment
                 here.  The next 9% are typically "for-each",
  		"when", and "if".

  	3)	From my own tinkering, and data above, I suspect
                that the final XSLT transform of applying HTML tags
                is consuming  about half the time?  Is this what
                the data above indicated?

  	4)	Website
                http://www.tfi-technology.com/xml/xslbench.html
                suggests that xalan_1 is very slow.  How can I move
                to xalan_2?  Can I just substitute the xalan.jar and
                possibly the xerces.jar files into my setup?  Should
                I move to Cocoon_1.8.2 first?  I've seen discussion
                in the interest-group, but no instruction, in
                particular about version compatibility, posted
                anywhere.

  	5)	Would it be more prudent to move to Saxon or XT
                at this time?  Do either one of these install and
                integrate easily?

  	6)	I did try Cocoon_1.8.2 and Orion_1.4.5.  No
                significant performance change.  PS: Thanks
                whoever submitted the suggesting on modifying the
                the manifest file!  :-)

 	7)	From tinkering around, my impression is that there  		is no caching of
the final XSLT style-sheets.  Thus
                every  page seems to be re-processing the final
                XSLT styles-sheet on every hit.  Is this true?  Is
                there a way to configure this differently?

 	8)	Finally, is something called "pre-compiled" XSLT
                style sheets an option at this time?

 	If you respond to these question I thank you for you time.
        I hope I've  put enough effort into creating an intelligent
        set of questions such that these, and their associated
        answers, will be useful by many.

  	Sincerely:

  		Steve Punte

  Steven P. Punte