cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Arnaud Vandyck" <arn...@ressource-toi.org>
Subject Re: Relative Speeds of XSL Engines
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2001 17:21:19 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Sirgio Carvalho" <scarvalho@criticalsoftware.com>
To: <cocoon-users@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 2:01 PM
Subject: Re: Relative Speeds of XSL Engines

> You just missed the last two years of developments on JIT
> compilers.

;)

> Java is truly faster than C++ for most data manipulation tasks.
> I just whish Sun would speed up their implementation of Swing -
> the GUI toolkit. Too many people think Java is slow because the
> UI apps are slow, and it is all caused by a poor GUI toolkit
> (performance-wise).

I do agree but:
1) I do not code in C++ so I can not see differences between the speed of
the two languages;
2) When I code in java, it's often with GUI and it's really slow;
3) When you launch a JVM, it's very slow too;
4) I thought JIT was not always a good think (for small classes if I
remember).

Thank you for your explanations ;)

--
Arnaud Vandyck