cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Arnaud Vandyck" <arn...@ressource-toi.org>
Subject Re: Need help understanding Cocoon concept?
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2001 17:09:07 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex Colic" <alex.colic@pop-ware.com>
To: <cocoon-users@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, February 02, 2001 5:22 PM
Subject: Need help understanding Cocoon concept?

> Hi,
>
> I am wondering if someone could explain the reasoning
> behind using Cocoon.
> I have a number of web apps that revolve around JSP's and servlets
> and I am wondering the place of Cocoon in the whole process. From
> what I have read cocoon takes a static xml file and can render the
> output for specific browsers.

That's one of the featureS ;)
You can also embed an sql query. This query will be returned as elements
with the db values. You can render XML, HTML, plain text, PDF, PNG (!),
VRML, or any format you want!.. and embed Java code...

> I presently have a web app that receives xml data from a stream
> and then through custom tags I have created displays the data to
> the client. Each JSP also has a lot of javascript on it. I am now
> porting my app to wml etc and it would seem that Cocoon might be
> the way to go. But...

Server-Side Javascript? I think Cocoon alow this feature.

Client-Side Javascript? I think you'll have some problems with WML.

> 1: all the samples I have seen deal with static xml files, what
> about dynamic files from streams?

I think this is possible with an XSP page, isn't it?

> 2: I understand that Cocoon wants to split the data/logic from the
> display but what about all the javascript code that pages require.
> Would I place them in the xml style sheet?

I think it's better to separate the javascript code from the pages and then
do somethink like a <SCRIPT src="..."/> in your XSL stylesheet. You can put
a reference or references to the js you want in your XML pages.

Hope it helps ;)

PS: I encourage you to have a look at Cocoon2... it kicks!

--
Arnaud Vandyck
<http://www.ressource-toi.org>