cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Peter C. Verhage" <pete...@zeelandnet.nl>
Subject Re: Plain text from Cocoon
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2001 21:21:44 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Berin Loritsch" <bloritsch@apache.org>
To: <cocoon-users@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2001 6:13 PM
Subject: Re: Plain text from Cocoon

: > You probably can't. Because of the simple reason that XSL(T) is ment for
: > transforming one XML file to another. So you always have to make a XML
tree
: > with XSLT, whatever the program that interprets the output does with it
is
: > up to the program (for example transform it to a PDF or HTML document),
but
: > you cannot use XSLT to create a plain text file without at least some
root
: > tag.
:
: That's not necessarily true.  Otherwise XSP and VRML won't work.  The
: way it works in Cocoon, is you must have root tags.  Everything can be
: translated to text inside the base tags.  The TextSerializer or
: similar mechanism in Cocoon 1 will strip out the root tags.

I understand what you mean, but when you look at XSLT it is true what I am
saying, and like I said, it depends also on the program that interprets the
output. In this case the program is Cocoon, and Cocoon knows to strip the
root element if the type is text/plain probably.

Ofcourse this last thing I did not know :P.

Regards,

Peter