cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: util:include-uri authentication (+cookies & form data)
Date Wed, 31 Jan 2001 03:38:57 GMT

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/api/java/net/package-summary.html

> >you can manipulate cookies for the current connection using cookie
> >logicsheet, though i think its design leaves something to be desired.
> >however, i don't know any way to attach cookies to the java.net http
> >client that's used by the util logicsheet. form data, that is to say
> >request parameters, you can tack onto the url:
> >
> >http://username:password@example.com/protected/resource?foo=bar&bar=bat
> >
> >via the get method. post method would be trickier, i'm not aware of
> >anything in the servlet or JDK API's to generate post requests - but using
> >a post here would be wrong anyway.
>
> I need to do POST. Why do you think it would be wrong?

POSTs are supposed to make changes server-side, and i think if that's what
you're doing, that it should be called explicitly, rather than as just a
side effect of including a resource. it's really your call though.

> Here's what we're trying to build... We have an existing web
> application produced with the 4D database environment, which handles
> things such as user registration, authentication, site construction
> and user submissions through forms. We want to 'wrap' it in cocoon,
> such that it just spits out xml and we use xsl in cocoon to format
> the html live etc, but retain the use of authentication via both
> basic auth and cookies, and form submissions for live editing of
> content. In this way cocoon could be thought of as a 'value added
> proxy server' for our application, providing one extra layer of
> abstraction.
>
> So, for some requests (when performing site editing functions) we'd
> like to pipe the incoming request straight through cocoon and onto
> our external web app for it to decipher cookies etc, via both the GET
> and POST methods.
>
> I hope this makes sense and gives a sensible reason for wanting to use POST.
>
> Next question is for advice: what would be the best way of making
> this happen? Ie, by extending the util logicsheet, or by building our
> own taglib to do all this? Or something else again?

if you really need to generate your own POST URL calls, you probably need
to write your own logicsheet. if you're happy with what you come up with,
you might consider submitting a patch to the util logicsheet.

- donald