cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Uli Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: Processor after XSP - impossible since 1.8.1?
Date Mon, 29 Jan 2001 21:44:48 GMT
On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Donald Ball wrote:

> i almost _always_ have a processor running after XSP - namely, the XSLT
> processor. that's the most common processor usage pattern out there, and
> i'd rather not burn cpu cycles doing a superfluous XSLT transformation.

Well then leave it out :)  All power to the user :)

> > I have no first processor, just XSP and then another one. I would have to
> > implement response.sendRedirect behavior in every processor I wish to use
> > after XSP - isn't that a bit kludgy?
>
> how often do you want your other processors doing stuff after xsp has sent
> a redirect? that seems very kludgy, imho.

It's not a matter of how often do I want to do this, the question is can I
do it at all?

Sure, I'd prefer to send the redirect *after* my processor finishes, but I
need XSP to dynamically generate its input. If I could have two XSP
passes and a processor in between, I'd be the happiest guy in the world.

But the way cocoon is implemented, any processor that "does stuff" may
have to run after XSP. Think of your own SQL processor - how would you do
updates to a database row you calculate in XSP? I know, you'd use ESQL,
but not for every processor a taglib implementation exists.

So, your problem can be solved by editing XML files, but mine only by
reverting cocoon back to its original state.

You may think I could just change my app, too, but that is not so. Perhaps
you think I could just run the processor on the page I redirect to and
send the processor's input along as HTTP request parameters. That's all
fine and well, but how do I get HTTP request parameters? Yeah, XSP again
and then the processor and then a redirect to the page I really wanted to
go to in the first place. Same problem.

So how about forgetting about the second redirect and just put the stuff
from the page I really wanted to go to into the page that also runs the
processor? Well, it happens that page is identical to the one I started
from - so I do things twice, when I want to do them once, and once, when I
don't want to do them at all.

Hell, I may be blind, it wouldn't be the first time. If you have an idea
how I could solve my problem, I'd be most grateful and shut up :)

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Softwareentwicklung