cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ulrich Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: Processor after XSP - impossible since 1.8.1?
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2001 10:00:39 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Uli Mayring wrote:
>
> > So your suggestion to port all of that is simply not an option. And
> > porting just the pages with redirects is not an option either, because my
> > code may be old, but it is consistent. I know, this is neither your fault,
> > nor your problem, just an explanation of why I'm reluctant to break
> > backwards compatibility in cocoon1.
>
> maybe we could make it a configuration option in cocoon.properties -
>
> handle.redirects.early = true
>
> or something like that? i wouldn't have thought that there would be _that_
> many pages out there that relied on the reactor _not_ exiting early after
> a redirect, but if that really is the case, i'd hate to make life hard on
> you.

I've spent about 70% of my time all last week trying to upgrade from 1.8
to 1.8.2. The problem is not installing cocoon, that's a thing of 5
minutes. But testing all my old apps with the new version is a pain,
frankly. Especially since these are productive systems working with
databases, sending out faxes to customers, generating letters to be
printed at an external print shop, providing a web interface for
customers to send their orders and so on. There's really no easy way to
test all that without disrupting production, so I can only do so much
and the rest is faith in cocoon's backwards compatibility :-)

> out of curiousity - can you give me an example of when you're relying on
> the reactor _not_ exiting early after a redirect?

For example the user is presented with two buttons "ok" and "cancel". If
he clicks "cancel" I redirect him back to the page he came from, no
problem. But if he clicks "ok", I'll have to run the processor and then
redirect him back to where he came from. So, first I'll have to do XSP
to determine if he clicked "ok" or "cancel" and then run the processor.
The way cocoon worked before was, that it did the redirect and then the
processor executed in the "background".

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring