cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ulrich Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: Processor after XSP - impossible since 1.8.1?
Date Mon, 29 Jan 2001 12:34:24 GMT
Robin Green wrote:

> It's an optimisation - I didn't think there was any point in processing the
> output any further if redirecting, seeing as it wasn't going to be
> outputted.

Yes, but processors sometimes do more things than just produce XML.

> But I suppose I should leave it to the cocoon-user to add/remove
> processing instructions to optimise it.

Yes, please! :)

> Is it acceptable to drop the formatter stage at least - or do you even use
> that for something?

I don't think I use it with redirects. But perhaps I could construct a
case:

I am using the <?cocoon-format?> instruction for writing to logfiles.
For example, an XML page is called from an application and the returned
string is written into the app's logfile. In order to minimise overhead
in the logfile, I've written a stylesheet that strips out all XML tags
and returns text/plain. If that XML page now were to use a redirect,
perhaps to a logfile-writer, then we might have a problem. Now, this is
very theoretical, so I may be wrong :)

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring