cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ulrich Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: IE/PDF bugfix in FAQ unclear
Date Fri, 19 Jan 2001 15:39:37 GMT
Robin Green wrote:

> I think it is clear enough. It says:
>
> "The third is a long-time problem with Internet Explorer which doesn't look
>     for the MIME type sent by the HTTP response, but instead just looks at
> the
>     file extension at the end of the URL to determine what program should
>     open it (unlike other browsers which are smarter and follow the Internet
> standards
>     correctly). "

This paragraph is correct, but the next one isn't:

There is a trick that forces IE to look at the MIME type - adding
?dummy=test.pdf (or some similar parameter ending in .pdf) at the end of
your URI. Cocoon should ignore this, but IE won't, and will react to the
MIME type and trigger the correct plugin/application for that content.

So in the first paragraph it is stated that IE doesn't look at the MIME
type in the HTTP response. And in the second it says that there is a
trick to make it look at the MIME type. If I have understood the
postings on this list correct, then that is plain wrong. In reality IE
*never* looks at the MIME type, it always looks at the extension. The
only question left would be, what does IE do, when there is no
extension, as in www.domain.com/test.pdf?foo=bar or even www.domain.com

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring