cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ulrich Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: Can Cocoon generate Multiple pages in one operation?
Date Tue, 16 Jan 2001 17:53:39 GMT
Michael Bierenfeld wrote:

> I think this request is interesting. I could imagine to generate a
> "Please Wait Page" in front of large DB-Operations.

So you would generate one page as a "please wait page" and display that
in the browser, while in the background loading a "db result page" and
sending that to the browser, once it's there?

> Why not overriding the response OutputStream with something that writes
> to a file. The rest could be done via xsp and xslt.

Yeah, you can always modify cocoon, if it doesn't do what you want - but
I don't think it's a very clever thing to do in the long run. Developers
should get their modifications of cocoon into the main distribution and
if their code is too specific or too bad to get accepted, then they
should probably rewrite it anyway :)

An XSP page is just a Java program, so you can write anything you want
into it. You could write some code that requests all the pages from a
certain section via an URLConnection, for example. But what do you get
in the end? You have rewritten wget in Java :)

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Systementwicklung