cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Documentation
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2001 14:55:11 GMT
I-Chung Young wrote:

> I don't know if this will help. How about simplified
> DocBook DTD from
> http://www.nwalsh.com/docbook/simple/index.html
>
> ------------
> I-Chung Young
> ichung@puma.mt.att.com

>>> It will use whatever you want it to use.  It can even
>>> run DocBook for you--if your willing to wait.
>>
>> I don't quite get that - the docs for cocoon2 surely must be written in
>> some kind of markup?!?

The docs for Cocoon (both versions) are currently written in
StyleBook markup.  AFAIK the plan is to use Cocoon to render
it's own docs once it is compiled.  As such, the markup is not
limited to StyleBook.

Actually, the markup for the documents in StyleBook is fairly
flexible.  I had to modify the DTD for Avalon when I was writing
the docs for that project--and everything worked well.  StyleBook
has a markup for a book.xml file that must be followed.  That
file is basically the spine for the list of docs to be generated.
Once StyleBook renders the individual docs, you have great
flexibility as to the actuall markup.  It does generate some extra
markup so that you can render the menu along with every page--
keeping track of which page you are on.

At our InfoPlanning.com site, what we did to get around this, was
to include a file called menu.xml along with every rendered page
(in the stylesheet).  The only issue with this approach is that
there is no easy way to determine which page we are on.  If we
determined that the investment was worth it, we would have found
a way around it--but the graphical designer's vision of our site
didn't include special marking for which page the visitor is on,
so we didn't bother.