cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <p...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject Re: A generic front-end for editing XML including the front-end.
Date Tue, 16 Jan 2001 12:50:41 GMT
* Hargraves, Christian (hargravesc@csps.com) wrote :
> Hi all,
>
> 	I have been working on a generic front-end for editing/creating XML
> files using the fo taglib. I have some ideas, but I didn't know if something
> like this has already been done or is included in cocoon 2.0. What I am
> trying to do is the following.

Nothing like this is included within Cocoon2 at present, and as far as I
know nobody has developed anything like this within cocoon2. There may
however be third party tools which I've not yet come across which do
something similar outside the infrastructure of Cocoon.

> Make it possible for some one to add their XML files to this piece, edit one
> file and be able to create/edit XML files through a web browser.
> The piece to edit would be an definition of the form types of the elements
> in XML to be edited.
> This would be defined as an object so that all of the information about that
> object can be edited in one HTML page.
> ie maybe an XML file has many types of objects in it. You want to edit one
> of those
> objects, but you don't want to create a seperate XSL file for each type.

Um. I *think* I follow you :)

> 	Has anyone out there already done something like this? If this
> hasn't been done, I would be willing to devote a lot of time towards doing
> it. If some one has come up with something or even thought of something,
> please let me know.

Sounds interesting. I say go for it. Would it be open source? It may be
that we can include it inside the C2 distribution, if it proves useful
enough, although obviously we try to keep the distribution focused on
the framework itself. I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of the
other commiters about this?

Paul