cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Riku Voipio <riku.voi...@tietoenator.com>
Subject Re: [C2] Two SVG->PNG questions
Date Fri, 05 Jan 2001 08:48:54 GMT
On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 09:44:55PM +0000, Ross Burton wrote:
> > 1) why would SVG renderer use DISPLAY variable? do I have to always
> > run X server somewhere to render SVG graphics?

> So yes, you do need to run an X server.  The XFree86 Framebuffer driver
> is apparently the best choice if you won't use it for anything else, as
> it is small.

Or, to be more specific, Xfree86 _virtual_ framebuffer X server.

 xvfb provides an X server that can run on machines with no display hardware
 and no physical input devices.  It emulates a dumb framebuffer using virtual
 memory.  The primary use of this server was intended to be server testing,
 but other novel uses for it have been found, including testing clients
 against unusual depths and screen configurations, doing batch processing with
 Xvfb as a background rendering engine, load testing, as an aid to porting the
 X server to a new platform, and providing an unobtrusive way to run
 applications that don't really need an X server but insist on having one
 anyway.
 .
 This package should not be confused with xserver-fbdev, the X server that
 interfaces with the kernel's framebuffer device; this package, xvfb, does not
 use the video hardware and is not a "real" X server in the popular sense.

--
Riku Voipio
riku.voipio@tietoenator.com