cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Benjamin Franz <snowh...@nihongo.org>
Subject Re: Common Question(Debate)
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2000 16:25:32 GMT
On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Amit Kaushik wrote:

> Why is this usefull i mean to say if i wanna store content then why
> should i use XML i think some database is more suitable to do this or
> we should say that XML is also doing that we store data in XML
> elements that is nothing but a replication of field name in that
> database.

XML is useful for *communication* of information between applications and
other entities. It is a 'database and platform agnostic' way of
representing information when it needs to be transfered. XML also maps
cleanly into object database management systems which are generally
regarded as the long term successor to SQL database management systems.
(SQL databases are based on 1960/1970's technology and the bondage you go
through using them reflects the era, while object databases are based on
1980/1990's technology).

It is notable that while it is easy to automatically map the contents of a
SQL database into an object database, the reverse is non-trivial in
general.

On a more significant note - the XSL list was supposed to be moving to new
digs a week ago - I have only see two messages on it since (both
cross-mailed to coocoon-users). Anyone know what's up?

--
Benjamin Franz

... with proper design, the features come cheaply. This
approach is arduous, but continues to succeed.

                                     ---Dennis Ritchie