cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@infoplanning.com>
Subject Re: 512MB RAM and the system ran outof memory (JVM)
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2000 15:09:33 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Christian Parpart" <cparpart@t-online.de>
To: "Cocoon-Users" <cocoon-users@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2000 9:34 PM
Subject: 512MB RAM and the system ran outof memory (JVM)

> Hi
>
> Sometimes I get a FATAL JVM ERROR.
> java.lang.Exception: FATAL ERROR: the system ran out of memory when
> processing the request. Increase your JVM memory.
> at org.apache.cocoon.Engine.handle(Engine.java, Compiled Code)
> at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.service(Cocoon.java, Compiled Code)
> at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java, Compiled Code)
> at com.caucho.server.http.Invocation.service(Invocation.java, Compiled
> Code)
> at com.caucho.server.http.RunnerRequest.handleRequest(RunnerRequest.java,
> Compiled Code)
> at
> com.caucho.server.http.RunnerRequest.handleConnection(RunnerRequest.java,
> Compiled Code)
> at com.caucho.server.TcpConnection.run(TcpConnection.java, Compiled Code)
> at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java, Compiled Code)
> This can be solved only by restarting the hole engine(!).
> Why do I get such errors, even if the memory size is 512M on the Linux
> machine?
> And who causes that exception and why?

change the call to java that starts Cocoon and the WebServer to set the
maximum memory higher than the default (usually 128 MB by JVM vendors).
For JDK 1.2 and higher you can use -mX512.  Set it to the amount of
physical RAM that you have.  If you use multiple JVMs on the same
machine, then you will swap, but you will have the best performance you
can get.