cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@infoplanning.com>
Subject Re: C2 vs C1; sitemap issues
Date Sun, 24 Dec 2000 14:25:18 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: Christian Parpart <cparpart@t-online.de>
To: Cocoon-Users <cocoon-users@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 24, 2000 6:34 AM
Subject: C2 vs C1; sitemap issues

> Hi all,
>
> after configuring Cocoon2 and Tomcat/4.0-m5 in success
> by testing its demo page at http://localhost:8080/cocoon
> I am now interested in how to get Cocoon to transform
> all my xml files.
>
> New in C2 is the sitemap.xmap file. One of its tasks is
> to match the requested path and to transform the file to
> any format(html,xml,pdf,...):
>
>    <map:match pattern="welcome">
>     <map:generate src="docs/samples/samples.xml"/>
>     <map:transform src="stylesheets/simple-samples2html.xsl"/>
>     <map:serialize/>
>    </map:match>
>
> Here will be matched the http://[host]/cocoon/welcome.
>   1.) An XML-tree will be generated(?).
>   2.) An XSL file will be applied to that tree.
>   3.) This tree will be send as text to the requester (output).
> Is that right?

Cocoon 2 uses SAX events instead of a DOM tree, but you
have the general idea.  (Performance blows ColdFusion out
of the water for comperable complexity in the pages)

> Now an HTML example:
>
>    <map:match pattern="hello.html">
>     <map:generate src="docs/samples/hello-page.xml"/>
>     <map:transform src="stylesheets/page/simple-page2html.xsl"/>
>     <map:serialize type="html"/>
>    </map:match>
>
> Here nearly the same procedure as the above example.
> Only the output will be in text/html, even the default type
> is text/html too(?).

The Serializer is a specific component specified in the info
above the sitemap definition.  You have an SVGSerializer
that converts the XML into an image, an HTML serializer
that optimizes the HTML for you, and more.

> So now I could conclude that all real .xml files can be found as .html,
or?
> Example:
>
>    <map:match pattern="*.html">
>     <map:generate src="{1}.xml"/>
>     <map:transform src="stylesheets/document.xsl"/>
>     <map:serialize type="html"/>
>    </map:match>
>
> Now all files ending with the extension .html should be matched with the
> above(?).
> e.g.: http://[host]/cocoon/index.html
> http://[host]/cocoon/path/to/any.html
>
> to: http://[host]/cocoon/index.xml
> http://[host]/cocoon/path/to/any.xml.
>
> Is that right?

The single asterisk '*' only matches the current directory.
in your example above only /*.html would be matched, not
/foo/*.html.

> Then, I recognized, that I am missing the pi cocoon-process in all xml
files
> served by the cocoon engine. In my oppinion, that's why you must tell the
> map:match tag, wich .xsl document he should use.
> But, is it possible to declare a stylesheet by using the pi cocoon-process
> and the pi xml-stylesheet anyway?

You can have it in there, but Cocoon 2 simply ignores it.  That
functionality
works in the sitemap.

> And, sometimes, by browsing throw the sitemap.xmap I found thinks like
> below:
>
>    <map:match pattern="images/**.png">
>     <map:read src="resources/images/{1}.png" mime-type="image/png"/>
>    </map:match>

This is the wildcard '**' to match this or any descending directory.
so the path /images/*.png and the path /images/foo/*.png will be
matched.

> Here are two stars (*) side by side, but in the map:read only {1}.
> What about {2}, or what exactly does this (**) mean, where is the
> difference?

'*' matches the current directory only.
'**' matches the current directory and any child directory
With {1} and {2} you are matching multiple wildcards:

<map:match pattern="/images/**.*">
  <map:read src="resources/{2}/{1}.{2}" mime-type="image/{2}"/>
</map:match>

when presented with "/images/foo.png" will match this:

/resources/png/foo.png (mime-type="image/png")

When presented with "/images/foo/bar.jpeg" will match this:

/resources/jpeg/foo/bar.jpeg (mime-type="image/jpeg")

> The following copy should match everything, wich isn't matched before,
> including everthing wich isn't a directory. But the map:generate and the
> map:transform expects
>
>    <map:match pattern="*">
>     <map:generate type="directory" src="{1}"/>
>     <map:transform src="stylesheets/system/directory2html.xsl"/>
>     <map:serialize/>
>    </map:match>

Should match everything in the current level.  If you got rid of the
redirect
at the beginning, you will see effects.