cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Peter C. Verhage" <pete...@zeelandnet.nl>
Subject Re: XSP, parsing big XML files
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2000 23:08:03 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robin Green" <greenrd@hotmail.com>
To: <cocoon-users@xml.apache.org>
Cc: <peter@ibuildings.nl>
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2000 10:15 PM
Subject: Re: XSP, parsing big XML files

: I suggest you just use XSLT and drop the XSP - the speed will improve
: markedly. You can use a toplevel xsl:param element (see the XSLT spec) to
: read parameters from the servlet request, so you don't even need XSP for
: that! As for the message counting, you can use recursive XSLT templates -
or
: even just the HTML tag <ol> which numbers a list automatically! :-)

I now use xsl:param to get the request params, and dynamically build the
filename but it seems that Cocoon only looks once at those params, compiles
the page and never looks at it again (at least when I'm using xsp in the
stylesheet, have not tried it without). This means I still don't get the
desired effect, because it only works once. Is there some param which makes
the page recompile every time it gets requested?

But maybe more beautiful would be if you compile the page with the
parameters but make a note of that. So you can have a page compiled maybe
two, or three times depending on the parameters used in user requests...
Ofcourse this could be a problem eventually because it generates a lot of
compiled pages, but the positive thing about it is that next time someone
request the page with the same parameters the page get's loaded almost
instantly...

Peter