cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Tagunov Anthony" <atagu...@nnt.ru>
Subject FYI: IBM JDK 1.1.3 on Linux 6.2 using SYMBOLIC LINKS: problem and solution
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:42:47 GMT
Hello, everybody!

FYI: we hit a problem and have solved it:

we used the following struncture in our Cocoon app:

===============
../apps/approot
      html
              a.xml                             ......href="../../stylesheets/a.xsl"...
      stylesheets
              a.xsl
      webapproot
              WEB-INF
              ln -s ../html ./html
==============

I mean that we had ..apps/approot/webapproot mentioned in our server.xml file (we use Tomcat)
as the root point of the our web application.
There we had a symlink ../html to the dir where files were really stored. It worked (I mean
file a.xml get processed by a.xsl, but when we modified a.xsl,
this change was not taken into account and the outdated version of doc was taken from cache.
This was because IMB JDK couldn't determine the lastModified of
..apps/approot/webapproot/html/../../stylesheets/a.xsl  (in fact getCanonicalPath returns
 ..apps/stylesheets/a.xsl, which is clearly wrong.

To get around this we had to use the following dir structure
===============
../apps/approot
      real
              html
                     a.xml                             ......href="../../stylesheets/a.xsl"...
      stylesheets
              a.xsl
      webapproot
              WEB-INF
              ln -s ../real/html ./html

this way the getCanonicalPath of ..apps/approot/webapproot/html/../../a.xsl  got to be ..apps/approot/stylesheets
and the lastModified by IBM JDK 1.1.3 was not 0 but a
correct value.

Best regards,
Tagunov Anthony

NNT Telecom russia,