cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <j...@socialchange.net.au>
Subject Re: stderr and stdout -> browser
Date Thu, 16 Nov 2000 22:29:22 GMT
On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Robin Green wrote:

> Jeff Turner <jeff@socialchange.net.au> wrote:
> >Poking around in Engine.java, I see there's a "debug" parameter which
> >redirects stderr and stdout to the browser. Great! Could the existence of
> >this be added to the documentation?
>
> First it needs fixing. Looking at the code it doesn't seem to turn off once
> you turn it on.
>
> But it's a useful idea. Let's define requirements for this. Should it appear
> alongside the normal output, or instead of it? Isn't this a bit of a
> security risk, allowing any user to see the logs - so shouldn't it be
> disabled by default in the distribution?
>
> If alongside, where? How can you integrate it into the page when Engine
> doesn't know at the start whether the output will be HTML, WML, XML, PDF or
> what - and different output methods would be needed for different output
> formats?

Is this meant to be a Grand Unified Debugging Architecture, or just a
useful hack? Is there a G.U.D.A. planned for C2?

To meet the needs of the majority of developers, how about:

 - assume HTML output
 - leave debug text inline
 - define a flag in cocoon.properties for *enabling* the debug parameter

--Jeff