cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Robin Green" <gree...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: stderr and stdout -> browser
Date Thu, 16 Nov 2000 16:50:13 GMT
Jeff Turner <jeff@socialchange.net.au> wrote:
>Poking around in Engine.java, I see there's a "debug" parameter which
>redirects stderr and stdout to the browser. Great! Could the existence of
>this be added to the documentation?

First it needs fixing. Looking at the code it doesn't seem to turn off once
you turn it on.

But it's a useful idea. Let's define requirements for this. Should it appear
alongside the normal output, or instead of it? Isn't this a bit of a
security risk, allowing any user to see the logs - so shouldn't it be
disabled by default in the distribution?

If alongside, where? How can you integrate it into the page when Engine
doesn't know at the start whether the output will be HTML, WML, XML, PDF or
what - and different output methods would be needed for different output
formats?