cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Andres Olave" <and...@flynk.com>
Subject Re: More on non-breaking spaces
Date Fri, 24 Nov 2000 00:53:33 GMT
Thanks Roger!

That was an excellent suggestion.  It works perfectly except for one fatal
flaw :(

The header information is now set to:
	<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//WAPFORUM//DTD WML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.wapforum.org/DTD/wml_1.1.xml">

A valid wml document should have something like this:
	<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
	<!DOCTYPE wml PUBLIC "-//WAPFORUM//DTD WML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.wapforum.org/DTD/wml_1.1.xml">

The first line declaring the xml version does not appear to be mandatory in
most compilers, but would be useful.  The wrong doctype seems to be a
barrier for the moment.

The workings of how the DOCTYPE gets set seems a little bizzare to me.  If
you take a look at your cocoon.properties file we usually have:
	formatter.type.text/wml         = org.apache.cocoon.formatter.XMLFormatter

This sets the DOCTYPE correctly! So it appears what formatter you use
shouldn't change the DOCTYPE

But by changing to how Roger suggests:
	formatter.type.text/wml         =
org.apache.cocoon.formatter.XHTMLFormatter

Causes the DOCTYPE to change and the formatter does change the DOCTYPE
setting.

A strange bit of coding perhaps sets the doctype in two different ways in
each of the repective formatters.  Could someone shed some light on why or
fix this (if it is a mistake)????

Also why doesn't XHTML spit out a line declaring its xml version?
Admittedly i know little about XHTML, but it seems a bit wrong to me, but
perhaps the heads at w3c know why.

thanks
Andres