cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Andres Olave" <and...@flynk.com>
Subject Re: More on non-breaking spaces
Date Thu, 23 Nov 2000 05:32:47 GMT
Hi all,

I should have expected these replies because I changed subjects between two
related emails. Silly silly me.  You can have a look at the first email i
sent entitled: "using nbsp; in wml" which resides in the archive just above
this thread.

On with the reply:

You see, i already know about "&#160;" business and it DOESNT work in the
Nokia browser.  Why?
Becasue what cocoon does, is translate "&#160;" to the actual character code
within the resultant file (ie. the source wml or html file).

If you look at any source file that u generate using cocoon there will be NO
strings of "&#160;".  There are only the actual blank spaces (non-breaking
kind) within the source file.  This is works in IE and I presume any html
browser because they probably directly use the character.  But in the little
nokia browser, which has to parses the source file, it gives the following
error "cannot convert character".  The browser cannot display the page.  If
i replace the space character cocoon outputs the string "&nbsp;" or even
"&#160;", then everything works fine!

Also anything that looks like "&amp;nbsp;" in the source file will of course
also fail.  This rules out using CDATA or manually putting "&amp;nbsp;" as
part of the xslt, becaue "&amp;" isn't escaped (unlike "&160;").

And lastly as most people know, output escaping cannot be disabled totally
in cocoon

If this is confusing you lets get down to the really simple question at the
core of my problem:

I am wondering, once again, is there anyway to have a string such as
"&nbsp;" or even "&#160;" appear in the source file?

If not what the hell should i do? Becasue i really need these "nbsp;".
Should i have a hack at the cocoon source?

Andres