cocoon-users mailing list archives

From David Nelson <David.Nel...@motion-ind.com>
Subject problems with cocoon setup...
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2000 14:14:07 GMT

From: Bas Passon [mailto:BPasson@parite.nl]
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2000 2:48 AM
To: 'cocoon-users@xml.apache.org'
Subject: RE: xsp: excuting methods automatically

<mailto:greenrd@hotmail.com> ]

> > > executer methods as
> > page.
> > >
> > > There is a new entry on the website FAQ which may help you
> > >
> > > http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/faqs.html
<http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/faqs.html>

> > > It is about executing initialisation code only once in an XSP
> > > page. It still
> > > requires a reference in the source page, but it's more efficient.
> > >
> > > If that is not what you want, where do you want to put the
> > reference?
> > >
> > What i would like is that in de XSPPage object there is a method
> > calles
> > public void initialize() which we can override the xsp-sheets within
> > the logic blocks. I know this is simple to implement by ajusting
> > XSPPage.java
> > but. It's probably something you'd want in the release version.
> >
> > One of the tasks such a function could do is retrieve
> standard objects
> > from
> > session and servletContext before processing of the rest op
> the pages
> > starts.
> > You don't wan't to have to put this in the top of the page by adding
> > an
> > initialization tag.
> >
> > Bas Passon
> >

> The notion of "standard object" is IMO highly dependent on the
> application or on the type of XSP.
>
> These objects only have interest if they are used in the rest of the
> page. In that case, you should build a logicsheet to define tags that
> manage them. The initalization code can then be generated by the
> logicsheet without the need for a particular init tag.
>
> Hope this helps.
> --
> Sylvain Wallez
> Anyware Technologies

You're probably right, but think of the following situation, you want to
initialize an object for logging information, or load an object to connect
to the database. These objetcs are stored in the session so its not
necessary
for each page-request to create its own objects.
You certainly don't want to put tags in every document to retrieve them from

the session. You want this to be done each time automatically. To do this
you
should have a method in some stylesheet which is called before everything
else
called. At this moment that is not possible without putting in some sort of
initialization tag in the code.

That is why i would like an automatic call for a method like:

        public void initilization()

Bas Passon