cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Alex Muc <alex....@utoronto.ca>
Subject Re: Out of Memory Error
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2000 03:44:35 GMT
Robin Green wrote:

>>  I searched through the
>> archives and I didn't find any solutions but if someone knows the answer
>> to the problem please tell me about it.
>
> I think it can sometimes be caused by misconfiguration. There is a
> setting in cocoon.properties, which is only documented in
> cocoon.properties itself, which needs to be set to the same value as
> the maximum heap size, in order for the MemoryStore flushing algorithm
> to work correctly. However, I've just now changed the algorithm in CVS
> so that it works no matter what you set that value to (it just flushes
> more aggressively if you set it to a lower value).

I was going to try checking out the cocoon module from the CVS
repository tonight, but on a clean check out I get an error which says
"can't create temporary directory.  Permission denied".  It happens both
on Linux and Win98, so I think the problem is with the cvs server at
xml.apache.org.  Any ideas on how to fix it, or what I'm doing wrong?
Once cvs works I'll try running it and capture some data using JProbe.

>> Anyways, in an effort to try and fix this problem I would like to get as
>> complete a set of details about all the various platforms that it has
>> occurred on a possible.  Hopefully then we can try and track it down.
>> So, if anyone who has experienced this problem could spend a couple of
>> minutes to fill out the following then we can try and find a solution:
>>
>> Cocoon version:
>> Servlet Container and version:
>> JDK version:
>> Operating System and version:
>> Integeration with Apache:
>> Running time before failure:
>> Number of requests before failure:
>> Uses JDBC:
>> JDBC Driver and version and level:
>> Other description:
>
> What about the most important thing - maximum heap size allowed for
> the JVM? The JVM picks its own default maximum based on the amount of
> RAM in the machine, unless you specify it with the -Xmx or -mx
> command-line option.

That would be useful information as well.  I was thinking to include
that as well, but figured it might be irrelevant as the problem seems to
crop up regardless of memory sizes.  It seems to me to be more
time/activitiy dependent.  At least at this point.

>> Based on my experience with the problem and the tests that I've done it
>> seems like it is a problem with the servlet container but I don't know
>> for sure.
>

> What makes you say that?

Well, there is another project that I know of which is using Cocoon on
similar hardware, actuallly the exact same hardware, same JVM, only
difference is that one is using Tomcat and the other is using JServ.
The one with Tomcat is the one that I am having problems with and I'm
waiting to here from the other developer whether he has been having
problems or not using JServ.  As far as I can tell/recall he doesn't
seem to be having any problems.  If his setup really is equal to mine
except for the servlet container then at least we know where to look.

Cheers
Alex.