cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Herbert Hotz <herbert.h...@symmetrix.ch>
Subject Re: draft final version of the esql namespace
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2000 02:47:06 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Ulrich Mayring wrote:
>
> > Donald Ball wrote:
> > >
> > > if you're configuring the connection parameters dynamically, you shouldn't
> > > be trying to use connection pooling imho.
> >
> > Ok and why not?
>
> mainly, it just doesn't make sense to me, to pool something that's
> dynamic. however, i'll play along for the moment and ask you the same
> questions i asked in another post. what data would an xsp page have to
> provide to create a new connection pool, and what data would an xsp page
> have to provide to check out a connection from that pool?
>
> i think it's possible to work something out here, though it may not be in
> the scope of the esql namespace per se - the pool maintenance namespace
> could be completely distinct. but we'll see.
>
> - donald

Hello esql folks,

As a provider we host many websites from different customers. We want
to offer also appliction services to our customers. So it seems very
natural, that a customer wants to use 'his' databases - even if they
are used by a common (Cocconn :-) application running on one of our
own servers.

Conclusion:
We certainly want to have the possibility to dynamically assign
connection pools. We don't like to have dirver, user, passwort, a.s.o.
hardcoded in the xml pages and even worse in the generated java sources.

If I imagine, that I have first to generate an xml file by some means,
just to make things dynamic, than pipe that xml file through cocoon,
which is compiling the generated source, to finally get the required
database connectivity - I do not feel too comfortable.

So, design esql that way, that it's tomorrow use will not be limited.

Thanks for listening & kind regards
Herbert
--
| Herbert Hotz         | Voice:   +41 1 381 8880                   |