cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Marco Pauck <pa...@wmd.de>
Subject Re: Very strange problems while accessing wap examples provided with Cocoon 1.8 though the Nokia WAP Toolkit 2.0
Date Sat, 04 Nov 2000 17:06:56 GMT
Mario Guzzi wrote:
[...]
> I’m using Cocoon 1.8, Tomcat Web Server 3.1 (and JDK 1.2.2), Nokia WAP Toolkit 2.0.
I’m also using Windows NT 4.0.

> I would like to build a Wap application using Cocoon platform.
>
> Cocoon installion works well. Everything is ok if I ues a web browser to access the examples
provided with Cocoon.

> The problem I have is that I cannot access the examples provided with Cocoon itself through
the Nokia WAP Toolkit 2.0.

> I cannot access both using the Nokia 7110 and the Blueprint phone simulations.
>
> When I try to access the example called example-portfolio.xml using the Nokia 7110 device
I get the following error message: "The page cannot be displayed".

> If I use the Blueprint device I get the error message "Character encoding conversion
failed" and then the Nokia WAP Toolkit asks me if I want to see Cocoon’s response in a wml
editor (the toolkit’s one). I answer that I want to and the Toolkit shows me the right wml
code:
[...]

I have nearly the same configuration (cocoon 1.8.1-dev-20001017, Tomcat 3.1 and Nokia Toolkit
2.0)
and it works without problems for both phone devices.

> At this point I save this file as "test.wml". If I try to either or compile it I get
the "character encoding conversion

> failed" error again.
>
> But if I type its URL in the Toolkit’s browers it gets loaded and executed both on the
Blueprint and on the 7110 Nokia Phones. That is to say everything is ok! Very stange, isn’t
it?

> At the beginnig I started to think it was due to the fact I had to set web server’s
MIME types. So I tried to configure Tomcat’s MIME type, putting a few lines in the file called
"web.xml", but it doesn’t work.

Did you add the following MIME type definitions to web.xml?

    <mime-mapping>
        <extension>
            wml
        </extension>
        <mime-type>
            text/vnd.wap.wml
        </mime-type>
    </mime-mapping>

    <mime-mapping>
        <extension>
            wmls
        </extension>
        <mime-type>
            text/vnd.wap.wmlscript
        </mime-type>
    </mime-mapping>

    <mime-mapping>
        <extension>
            wbmp
        </extension>
        <mime-type>
            image/vnd.wap.wbmp
        </mime-type>
    </mime-mapping>

    <mime-mapping>
        <extension>
            wmlc
        </extension>
        <mime-type>
            application/vnd.wap.wmlc
        </mime-type>
    </mime-mapping>

    <mime-mapping>
        <extension>
            wmlsc
        </extension>
        <mime-type>
            application/vnd.wap.wmlscriptc
        </mime-type>
    </mime-mapping>

> Then I tried to configure phone settings in order to make them using the Nokia WAP Server
(a gateway). But nothing changed.

> I hope you can help me solve this boring problem once and for all. This way I colud build
my wap application using Cocoon.

Another tip from my own experience: you can't develop a real-world WAP application
using one of the toolkits/emulators (nokia, Phone.com, ...) alone. Don't trust them!
You have to test with the *real* phones using the *real* WAP gateways. That means
any phone with any gateway ... :-(

	Marco