cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Uli Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: MVC, Struts and Cocoon (was: We need a forms taglib)
Date Sat, 21 Oct 2000 15:25:27 GMT
On Sat, 21 Oct 2000, Jeff Turner wrote:

> My question is really: are you interested in forms as a navigational
> device, or as a data collection device?

Data collection, i.e. managing user input through input fields, dropdown
menus, buttons etc. - the whole issue includes dealing with HTTP request
parameters, because the form's data is transported through that mechanism,
when a form is submitted.

> For "data collection"-type forms, there is possibility for creating a
> taglib to automatically populate a bean with form data, ala <jsp:useBean>
> tags. Struts has this too, I think. A Cocoon version would be very nice..

I don't think the forms management should be connected with Beans, after
all not everyone uses Beans. It could be put in as an additional option,
though.

If you look at my auth taglib (or at Jeremy's fp taglib) you'll find that
we both would have needed a forms taglib, because both our taglibs mainly
make sense in an interactive application where the user inputs data
(enters a password in the case of auth or edits XML items in the case of
fp). Jeremy and I have solved this requirement in different ways, he put
some additional constructs in his fp taglib, which don't really belong
there, as they have nothing to do with fp as such. I have put this
functionality in a stylesheet, which may be a little more appropriate, but
does nothing for standardisation.

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring