cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Kevin Galligan" <ke...@ospreypartners.com>
Subject RE: FW: PDF Whitespace
Date Tue, 03 Oct 2000 02:09:15 GMT
Ok, now that I've flooded the newsgroup with my messages, here's one more.
I came up with an answer to my own question which seems to work.
Substituting non-breaking spaces ($#160; , or &nbsp; to the html crowd) for
regular spaces does the job.  My quesiton now is about performance.
Inserting '&#160;' for every space will obviously bloat the file size
greatly, as the majority of the files are made up of spaces.  I'm even more
concerned about performance.  What will this do to parsing and transforming
performance?  In a proposed idea we would have one piece of the software
produce reports and pass those on to another in an in-memory parsed DOM
form.  What sort of memory hit will that have?  I've done very little work
with entitys in XML (mainly because I found them difficult to understand in
the beginning and never sat down and figured them out since).  Any input
would be appreciated.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Galligan [mailto:kevin@ospreypartners.com]
Sent: Monday, October 02, 2000 4:35 PM
To: cocoon-users@xml.apache.org
Subject: RE: FW: PDF Whitespace

The fo that comes back after the xsl transformation has the whitespace
intact.  Its the pdf output from the FOP that doesn't have the whitespace.
Here's a quick example.  This is what an original file might look like with
the whitespace formatting...

'   1. Thing a                  1234.55'
'   2. Thing qwety               333.99'
'                               -------'
'                        Total  1568.54'

I have each row wrapped with a fo block tag, like this...

<fo:block text-align="start"...>   1. Thing a
1234.55</fo:block>
<fo:block text-align="start"...>   2. Thing qwety
333.99</fo:block>
<fo:block
                       -------</fo:block>
<fo:block text-align="start"...>                        Total
1568.54</fo:block>

but the pdf looks like this...

'1. Thing a 1234.55'
'2. Thing qwety 333.99'