cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ulrich Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: [C1] contrib directory
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:04:05 GMT
Robin Green wrote:

> (1) - Put everything in the core distribution. But I don't want to have to
> test it all, and it would be bad to include any old junk without testing it
> first.

I can only test my logicsheets, if I know what to test against. I've
said this a couple of times before: cocoon needs reference platforms it
is tested against.

> (2) - Put them in a contrib directory in CVS but make it clear they _may_
> be
> flaky; move them into the main distro if and when they are reasonably
> "proven".

Why should I put something in a contrib directory, when I could just as
well test it against the reference platforms and put it in the distro?

On the other hand if we have no reference platforms to test against,
what is the difference between contrib code and distro code? Both are
untested. So why do we need a contrib directory at all?

> (3) - Links only in the documentation (this would have to be done anyway in
> cases where contributors weren't willing to "sign" copyright away to the
> ASF
> and release it under the cocoon license, I think). Again make it clear that
> "these are not maintained by the Cocoon project and we offer no guarantees"
> etc. I'm happy to do this right away if (1) or (2) are not agreed upon.

Code only makes sense, if it is used. Stuff in the main distro is more
likely to be used than stuff linked to from documentation that no-one
reads :-)

But I don't mind if you link to my taglibs from the docs.

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Systementwicklung