cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Stevenson, Chris (SSABSA)" <ch...@ssabsa.sa.gov.au>
Subject RE: FOP, PDF and IE
Date Mon, 23 Oct 2000 00:44:45 GMT
Hello all-
This is perhaps a bit off topic, but I can't think of better group of people
to ask.  I'm trying to use FOP to generate dynamic PDF, but IE5.5 (my
primary development target, unfortunately) fails to properly call Acrobat
4.05 to view the document--I end up with a blank white screen and a PDF
loaded into memory... who knows where...  I know that Cocoon is not
mis-reporting it's MIME header, as would otherwise seem the case, because
Netscape4 has no problem with it.
I'm sorry to trouble you with this, but my reasoning is that if anyone might
have had this trouble with IE and FOP it would be a Cocoon users group, not
a PDF or IE users group. Has anyone out there had a similarly nasty
experience with using IE to view PDF?

This is a known problem with ie's (braindead) interpretation of
mime types. Basically, if IE sees a .xml in the url it uses that
and not the correct mime type.

To workaround this bug, add a ? to the end of the URL:

so
http://somewhere/something.xml

becomes
http://somewhere/something.xml?

This will cause IE to do the right thing.
If it still doesn't work, try adding an
unused parameter.

http://somewhere/something.xml?foo=bar

Sometimes I have had to cheat even more:
http://somewhere/something.xml?foo=.pdf

chris

-- Chris Stevenson ----------------------- SSABSA --
Senior Secondary Assessment Board of South Australia
60 Greenhill Road, Wayville SA 5034, Australia
email: chris@ssabsa.sa.gov.au
phone: (08) 8372 7515
  fax: (08) 8372 7590