cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Peter Flynn <pfl...@imbolc.ucc.ie>
Subject Re: A very simple question(I imagine...)
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2000 23:21:14 GMT
> What do I have to do when I want join two XML files in runtime, excuse
> my ignorance in such issues ...
> For instance when I have created a table called "table.xml" and I want
> insert this table into a file , say "file.XML" how should I proceed?

This is just standard SGML, and XML does the same: you declare it as
an external entity, then reference it where you want it inserted.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE foo SYSTEM "http://www.foo.org/dtds/foo.dtd" [
<!ENTITY bar SYSTEM "http://www.foo.org/chunks/table.xml">
]>
<foo>
  <something>
    <contextual>
    &bar;
    </contextual>
  </something>
</foo>

The only restriction is that the external entity (table.xml) must
contain markup which is valid at the point where you insert the
entity; and that it must contain integral entities only (you can't
start some markup inside the entity file and finish it outside).

///Peter