cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@infoplanning.com>
Subject Re: cocoon.properties on windows
Date Mon, 23 Oct 2000 13:02:23 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Schmid" <robert_schmid@fourthgen.com>
To: <cocoon-users@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, October 20, 2000 3:52 PM
Subject: RE: cocoon.properties on windows

> Congratulations! you answered my question exactly.  I don't necessarily
> like the answer, I would prefer a default properties file with option of
> using several but at least I know how it works.
>
> Thanks!

You discovered a *feature* of the Servlet 2.2 specification.  All files
within a webapp *must* be included in the context's directory.  This is a
security feature to limit the scope of what a hacker can do to your system.
It is also a deployment feature to ensure that everything required for
release is within the context.

If you really want to get around this feature there are two things you
can do: move to Servlet 2.0 or 2.1 (using JServ), or use symbolic links
(in Unix).  The symbolic link trick may not work with all servlet engines
because it is considered poor security to allow the filesystem to look
outside of the servlet's context.