cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject RE: How can I extract markup with SQL-taglib ?
Date Thu, 28 Sep 2000 01:49:42 GMT
On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Robin Green wrote:

> You've lost me. But anyway, what if I want to implement a discussion forum
> with markup features (i.e. users can embolden, italicize, etc. their text)
> and store all the posts in a database? What do you suggest I do? Convert all
> the <b> to [b] and then back again at the other end???

i say no, that's silly. there's no real good argument against using the
minimal amount of text-formatting HTML tags (strong, italics, line break,
paragraph). if the output device can't understand this subset of HTML,
it's _simplicity_ itself to transform into something else or strip out
entirely. just because HTML has a lot of stupid tags doesn't mean that the
core isn't useful.

anyway, to sum up - if you want to do this, you get rely on the get-xml
feature of esql to help you out. i plan on adding a get-html method for
good old badly formed HTML as well using openxml or jtidy's html parsers,
but it's not high on my priority list. if you don't want to do this, you
can smugly ignore these features. :)

- donald