cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Jeffrey_M_Gross...@Countrywide.Com
Subject Logicsheet philosophy
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2000 22:02:37 GMT

In programming with Cocoon XSP, and logicsheets, I come to a basic concept
that for a large part prevents me from using logicsheets.
A logic sheet is "run" as part of the XSL transforms. Processors have had
there chance to modify the DOM for the page, and then logic sheets, and
then (typically) last is the XSL transform.

In my case I need to get a query string parameter, or session variable that
contains a unique database key (lets say customer ID). This value is then
placed into a an XML element, via XSP. My understanding is that the
XSP:logic sections are placed into a java file that becomes the producer.
The logicsheet then happens after the producer has been run, therefore is
not able to interact with other XSP:logic code.

What I see happening is the following:
XSP logic become large enough or generic to be promoted.
If promoted into a logicsheet, it is no longer capable of interacting with
other XSP logic only other logicsheets)
If promoted into a class library, then all the XSP logic is available,
although through methods of the class, and can, although limited, interact
with logic sheets.

Based on these assumptions on my part I see almost no value to the
logicsheet concept, other than to pick up some variable and put it down in
the XML for the XSL to process (i.e. current date, user name, etc). Then I
would extrapolate this concept so that logicsheets are only useful to XSL
logic (presentation), and not XML (content).

I am I right or have I missed something?

Jeffery Grossman
Countrywide Home Loans
Jeffrey_M_Grossman@countrywide.com