cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Crook, Charles" <Cro...@tvratings.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat or Jserv, that's the question :)
Date Fri, 22 Sep 2000 13:42:38 GMT
I think you are missing the point.

Jserv is closed and is based on jsdk 2.0
Tomcat is the current implementation of jsdk 2.2

So why would Cocoon support jserv?

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Verhage [mailto:peter@ibuildings.nl]
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2000 9:41 AM
To: cocoon-users@xml.apache.org
Subject: Tomcat or Jserv, that's the question :)

I've noticed the Cocoon 2.0 alpha release(s) only support Tomcat at the
moment. Because of the support for newer version of Java Servlet (2.2)
of Tomcat. I'm sure this will change as soon as the beta and/or the
final version will be released of Cocoon 2. But at the moment they've
chosen to only support Tomcat. What is the reason for this choice? Is
Tomcat better then Jserv?

I want this to know because Tomcat looks less mature then Jserv, but
maybe I'm missing the point here :) But what i've read about Tomcat is
that it is rather a reference implementation then a real production
enviorment implemenation. I don't know if this will change, but because
of the fact Jserv and Tomcat are both products of the Apache community,
I think in the end one will "survive". I know they are both different
kind of implementations, but I think they will at the end be one...
Again I could be wrong...

Anyway, what is the best choice for Cocoon (2)? At this moment Tomcat,
but will it still be when the final version will be released? And why
(not)?

With best regards,

Peter

--
Peter Verhage       <peter@ibuildings.nl>
ibuildings.nl BV - information technology