cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Henning von Bargen <H.vonBar...@Triestram-Partner.de>
Subject AW: XML and FLASH?
Date Tue, 12 Sep 2000 06:50:02 GMT
This "saxess" FO library is nice.
Until SVG viewer plugins are more or less installed in every browser,
it seems like a reasonable alternative to the SVG->bitmap renderer on the
server side.
I don't like the idea of converting SVG to bitmaps on the server because
many of
the features of SVG are lost then.
Instead one should encourage users to install a SVG viewer plugin.
The Adobe SVG viewer is working well for me, it's only a bit slow.
SVG viewer plugins are tomorrow.
For today, IMHO using saxess and shockwave flash plugin on the client side
is
better than using SVG with bitmap rendering on the server side, because
a) shockwave plugin is available for most browsers
b) shockwave plugin is fast and stable
c) shockwave files are usually small in size.
d) shockwave files are interactive.
The same is true for SVG and SMIL iff they are rendered on the client side.
Henning

> -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
> Von:	Marcelo F. Ochoa [SMTP:mochoa@ieee.org]
> Gesendet am:	Montag, 11. September 2000 22:09
> An:	cocoon-users@xml.apache.org
> Betreff:	Re: XML and FLASH?
>
> luis fraga wrote:
>
> > Can all these technologies(XML and stylesheets) mix with macromedia
FLASH?