cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Henning von Bargen <H.vonBar...@Triestram-Partner.de>
Subject AW: How can I extract markup with SQL-taglib ?
Date Thu, 28 Sep 2000 06:52:06 GMT
Russ,
why is it a step backward?
Our customers (for example) are in the quality assurance of chemical
industry.
There are standard methods of how to determine chemical+physical parameter
values
(like CO2 Vol-% or others). These methods are all stored in a RDBMS.
The customers want to have a description of these parameters that ist
pretty-formatted.
Now we can choose:
a) Store only a filename in the database, store (X)HTML content in the file
and display the file
b) Do not allow pretty-format description ( CO2 )
c) Store (X)HTML description in a database column ( CO<sub>2</sub> )
d) Rewrite the whole application to use a XML database

d) is impossible (would cost several years of work), besides there are not
yet any XML databases
    that can compete with Oracle 8 for at this time.
a) Is easy at first glance, but the files have to be backed up,
    access control has to be implemented,
    does not support commit/rollback.
b) Does not fit customers needs
c) Is ugly for purists, but easy to implement and fits the customers needs.

Other usage cases are text clips where the customer just wants the ability
to highlight
(italics, bold, underline) some words in a short text.

So tell me what would you do?

Henning