cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Peter Verhage <pe...@ibuildings.nl>
Subject Re: Tomcat or Jserv, that's the question :)
Date Fri, 22 Sep 2000 15:40:02 GMT
Russ White wrote:
> The fact is the Cocoon2 will run on any Servlet 2.2 container, not just
> tomcat.

Yes I know, but I'm looking for a solution that can be integrated in
Apache Server. And at the moment (I believe) the only two solutions are
Jserv and Tomcat. They both work, except Jserv doesn't work anymore with
the 2.x series. That's not a problem, but I only wanted to know that. :)
It's for the company I work for (uhh i'm a trainee... :p) important that
they can keep using Apache Server. Not only because they have a lot of
time invested in PHP (which can also run on other webservers, I know)
but also because Apache Webserver is one of the best webservers at the
moment, and is a great open source project.

> If you are looking for a great platform check out Resin at
> http://www.caucho.com It does not have anything to do with Tomcat being
> better or worse. The only factor here is the you have to code to a spec, and
> the only spec that makes sense right now is Servlet 2.2, and soon probably
> 2.3

Oops, there goes my statement that Jserv and Tomcat the only solutions
are for Apache :P. But, the Apache community has always produced good
products. And because of the fact Apache Server and Tomcat are both
Apache projects, it looks to me they will better work together (maybe
not at the moment, but in the future), but I know that does not have to
be true... And ofcourse, I can always switch, that does nothing to the
functionality of Cocoon ofcourse.... Hmmm :) Still thinking.... :P

> I am using resin 1.2.b2.snap with Cocoon2 with out any major problems (other
> then the fact that it an alpha product). In fact there is not any difference
> in running it on Tomcat or Resin, exception that Resin runs generally
> faster, and IMHO is much easier to configure. Also Resin's implementation of
> SSL is solid.

I will have a look at it :) Thank you for the information!

Regards,

Peter

--
Peter Verhage       <peter@ibuildings.nl>
ibuildings.nl BV - information technology