cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Aha! got it! 64k limit(was: new version of the sql logicsheetunderdevelopment)
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2000 22:36:33 GMT
Ulrich Mayring wrote:

> > From: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org>
> >
> > Only XSP that used DOM directly (AND WE TOLD YOU NOT TO DO IT!) will be
> > hard to port, anything else will be piece of cake.
>
> Well, piece of cake or not, I have thousands of files, so I will need
> some time to port.

And will take months for C2 to stabilize... we are fully aware of this
and this won't happen overnight... you'll have all the time you need to
evolve your system.

> Plus, the "hacks" I had to implement for processing
> chains should be put into the sitemap, this will also take some time.

Sure.

> And I suspect the clean-page model will not work anymore in cocoon2, so
> everything needs to be converted over to the taglib-model.

This assumption is correct, but at the same time, the taglib-model is
nothing different from the clean-page model.

> We are not
> talking about simple pages here, but about sophisticated workflows. When
> I think of some of the hacks that have been reported on this list to
> make large sites work...

This is exactly the point: I understand you are working on this and you
rely on the technology for your job, believe me there is nobody on this
list that respect this more than I do... but do you want to continue
with these hacks forever?

There is a point where you need to cut the crap and do things with more
elegant design. Sure, this takes some time to get up to speed, like when
you learn a new programming language or a new technology, but if this
helps speeding you up in the future, this time is not wasted, is
invested.

Which is a big difference.

At the same time, we totally understand that C2 will be much different
from C1 so we'll make the path the smoother possible. This doesn't mean
there won't be bumps and back incompatibilities, there will be some, the
architecture is too different, but we'll make sure to ease this as much
as possible and we'll make C2 so irresistible that you'll feel ashamed
by still having to use C1 :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.