cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Chris Meyer <cme...@ultratask.com>
Subject Re: recursion & sql in xsp
Date Tue, 29 Aug 2000 22:01:03 GMT
This can be done in a slightly different manner using xsl.

Make your XML output something like this:

-----------------------------
<categorylist>
   <category id="0" name="root"   parent="0"/>
   <category id="1" name="blue"   parent="0"/>
   <category id="2" name="red"    parent="0"/>
   <category id="3" name="orange" parent="2"/>
   <category id="4" name="green"  parent="1"/>
</categorylist>

<topoftree id="0"/>
-----------------------------

This should be the direct result of a single database query.

Then make your XSL something like this:

-----------------------------
<xsl:template name="level">
   <xsl:param name="id"/>
   <li><xsl:value-of select="/categorylist/category[id=$id]/@name"/></li>
   <xsl:for-each select="/categorylist/category[parent=$id]">
     <xsl:call-template name="level">
       <xsl:param name="id"><xsl:value-of select="@parent"/></xsl:param>
     </xsl:call-template>
   </xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:call-template name="level">
   <xsl:param name="id"><xsl:value-of select="topoftree/@id"/></xsl:param>
</xsl:call-template>
-----------------------------

I did this from the top of my head so you'll probably have to modify
it slightly to get it to work. Also, you'll want to add in some
<xsl:if>'s to count the number of children nodes before outputting an
empty <li></li> pair... but this should give you the general idea.

The disadvantage of doing things this way is that you have to include
your entire category tree with each XML document. There's probably a
way to reduce that too though.

And of course, this doesn't allow you to do other XML processing on
the resulting tree... but it may be a start in the right direction.

Chris Meyer