cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Uli Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: new version of the sql logicsheet under development
Date Sun, 27 Aug 2000 16:50:36 GMT
On Sun, 27 Aug 2000, Donald Ball wrote:

> class test {
>
>  void main() {
>   Object foo;
>   // each thread gets its own foo
>  }

Ok, I understood now what you mean. Thanks for the info.

So it looks like this problem is really hard to solve on the XSP side.
Since we cannot expect the Java-Gods to abolish the 64K limitation and we
shouldn't expect the cocoon users to knowingly avoid it, what possibilites
are left?

Perhaps we should rethink XSP. It translates XML into Java, so we can use
Java in XML. Up to now we were trying to think of a different way to
translate XML into Java.

Maybe the whole procedure (translate everything into Java) should be
re-thought. As far as I understand XSP: in order to, say, make XSP support
perl, we'd have to translate perl into Java. Then we can take the
translated perl and the translated XML and aggregate it in a Java class,
which cocoon (being written in Java) can use.

Now, translating perl into Java seems very difficult to me. So maybe we
should find a new "common ground", one that is more generic than Java.

Please folks, don't get upset at my sometimes stupid thoughts, I am just
trying to learn a bit about the XSP internals.

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Softwareentwicklung