cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Ed Staub" <est...@mediaone.net>
Subject RE: caching of cocoon
Date Sat, 19 Aug 2000 18:30:47 GMT
Mike,

It's clear that your throughput requirements are very low.
Other people would complain about taking 100ms for the entire page!

Ignore previous message; I had mistakenly thought that the only dynamic
content was the localization resources.  Given that so much else is
database-driven, and your throughput requirements are so low, I'd be doing
exactly what you are.

FWIW, by "meaningful" I meant having useful, reusable content in the cache
which will actually impact performance, as opposed to useless copies of
one-off pages.

-Ed Staub

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Engelhart [mailto:mengelhart@earthtrip.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 19, 2000 1:44 PM
To: Ed Staub
Cc: cocoon-users@xml.apache.org
Subject: RE: caching of cocoon

> This sounds unnecessarily slow, perhaps unacceptably slow if you're
> expecting any serious traffic.
>
> Some alternate approaches:
>
> When the user hits your main "portal" page, redirect them to a tree of
URLs
> with the locale baked in.
> So www.foo.com/myPortal.xml would redirect to
> www.foo.com/en_US/myPortal.xml.
>
> This would allow meaningful caching, but without the site mapping in
Cocoon2
> I'm not sure of the best way to create the other trees... a brute force
> approach would be to createstub files with just xml:include of the
> locale-independent version.  Any better ideas, anyone?
>
> -Ed Staub

In my application, the content of almost every page is completely dynamic
using database and legacy system lookups to provide the data for the pages
so i'm not sure how creating a tree of directories with XSP in each one
would gain me anything except massive memory consumptionn.
My whole site is driven by forms so the only thing's that need to be
looked up are the labels to fields, buttons, drop-down's etc. I don't have
"articles" or any large chunks of text, just small snippets of text
(usually one - five words).  I'm seeing less than 1 second page draws
(500-850 ms) in all my pages (and this is on a 333Mhz PII). ResourceBundle
key lookups take between 0 and 1ms per lookup in the simple tests that I've
done.   I think those numbers are acceptable but granted, I haven't had a
large load hitting the site in my testing yet.   The thing is though that
without the ResourceBundle overhead,  using static text instead, I only
gain if anything (sometimes the generation times are identical) between 50
and 100ms in processing time.  For me having one site tree and only having
to mess with properties files for the languages, the small overhead is
worth it.   This means I can use 1 page for 100 different languages if I
need to. Plus if I'm going to support say 15 languages, the memory overhead
for my application is dramtically reduced by only using 1 XSP page for all
the languages.

mike